Babies aren’t all the same. How can you understand and help your baby?
Some babies smile and sleep through their first 12 months. Others:
- Are unpredictably hungry
- Have difficulty with sleep
- Cry when left alone
- Are upset by strange noises and places
- Show fear of strangers
- Dislike hugs from relatives
- Fuss during dressing and washing
- Protest when their play is stopped
- Fall unexpectedly
Fussy babies can make parents afraid they are doing something wrong. However, research shows that many early behavior problems are caused by inborn temperament traits.
Learn to work with inborn traits rather than struggle against them!
At the Preventive Ounce, you can:
Fill in a temperament questionnaire and immediately see a
profile of your baby’s temperament. The thumbnail examples
below show how different babies are in terms of low or
high Sensitivity, Movement, Reactions, Frustration Tolerance,
Adaptability and more.
What are your baby's traits? (click
what specific behavior issues are normal for your baby. Child behavior depends on temperament. For example:
- It’s normal for babies who are slow to adapt to have more difficulty with sleep.
- It’s normal for sensitive, cautious babies to be upset by strangers and new places.
- Adults who don’t understand temperament may instead describe your baby as “a bad sleeper” or “not friendly.”
Then learn how to manage behavior
issues in ways that are tailored to your baby’s temperament.
Once you know what to expect, the Preventive Ounce website
explains how to manage the issues that are normal for
your baby. Understanding your baby's temperament helps
you understand what triggers problem behaviors. Then
you can prevent some meltdowns and calmly offer support
Learn to work with inborn traits...
rather than struggle against them.
History: The temperament traits discussed
here were first described over 60 years ago by Drs. Stella
Chess and Alexander Thomas. Since then, more than 40,000
parents have used the Preventive Ounce to make parenting
easier and to avoid unnecessary blame and guilt.
Who should use
this program? ALL parents.
child has a temperament, and every temperament has different
$10, a 1-year family membership lets you:
- Fill out 4 temperament profiles on
4 different infants, toddlers, or preschoolers,
or different adults can complete profiles on the
- Have access to individualized parenting
strategies for 1 year.
Your $ also help maintain and upgrade
this non-profit website. Thank you.